Saturday, 7 January 2012

 Date  7 Jan 2012

Name: Meryl Naismith


Hometown: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia



Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?
Hobbyist



What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?

No formal studies unless history counts.


How long have you been chasing ancestors?

I have followed my family tree for decades but only started my own research in past two years.


How did you get hooked on genealogy?

I grew up with the stories. My mother researched a great deal in the 1980s. I have her research and documents, certificates and some photos. I am conyiniong a nd finding more. I have some family whose stories I wish remembered

What is your day job?

I am retired. I was a teacher and Student Weklfare Counsellor.


What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?

Expertise? I have strong research skills and find establishing personal contact with others researching my lines invaluable. There are many giving people in genealogt


Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups:

I am a volunteer with Stawell Historical Society. I have lived in Stawell for 5 years. I have little family connection with the area but it is interesting and I did have a personal surprise when I discovered an aunt was born here. My family did not know.



What are the lands of your ancestors?

England, Ireland and Scotland. They were all here by the 19th C.


What Family Names are you Researching?

Many including Naismith, McFarlane, Baker, Fothergill, Madden, Carew, Staunton, Bollard/Ballard, Norman. As of yesterday, Meyer.


Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?

James Madden othergill (Jimmy). My grandfather on my maternal side. He died too young.



What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why?

Broadford, Victoria. I have been there but I want to photograph the cemetery and revisit some areas. So many lived there.


What is your favourite resource for genealogy?

So many again. Trove, AWM, ancestry and FTM for recording and network contacts. Australian Genealogists facebook group. google.......



Do you keep your genealogy files on paper?

Absolutely. I like to read it as hard copy and the tangibility is a factor for me. I share it with visitors/adult children if they show interest..



Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer?

Yes and backed up elsewhere



Do you have your tree posted on the internet?

I have a public tree on ancestry.com. My ID is meryln_1


What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?

Facebook, google +.


Do you have a blog?

I will if this works


What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?
I am a people person. Due to my the fact that I need to move, I try to maintain some contacts via writing and email.


What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?

Anything by the Brontes



What is your personal philosophy in a few words ?

Care

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more from you! Congratulations on beginning this big step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your blog Meryl. Have lots of fun. I look forward to reading your family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world of genealogy blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy blogging -it's great fun and there's a great community out there. Happy ancestor hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meryl we can be newbie geneabloggers together! I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete